[R-SIG-Mac] Trouble building Rgraphviz: Tiger, cc_dynamic

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Wed Jul 6 19:52:13 CEST 2005

On  6 Jul 2005, simon.urbanek at r-project.org wrote:
> Where and how did you configure R? It seems as if you configured R
> in Panther or mixed gcc3 and gcc4 - neither is a good idea.

Here's my configure line as found in config.log:
  --with-blas=-framework vecLib --with-lapack --with-aqua F77=gfortran

I built R after upgrading to Tiger and gcc --version reports:

  powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.0 (GCC) 4.0.0 20041026 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 4061)

Did I miss something in the configure line?  I can rebuild in a shell
without the fink stuff --- I'm only using that to be able to install
gnucash, but I think the problem is elsewhere.

> - If you use gcc4  and gfortran then cc_dynamic is not needed.

Well, I seem to be using gcc4 and if I build Rgraphviz by hand and
remove the -lcc_dynamic, I get a .so and can install the packge and
use it.  So cc_dynamic is not needed; how do I tell R that I don't
need it in the package building process?

> Since you seem to use both /sw and /usr/local there may be even some
> conflict of the compilers you use - you should check the compiler
> within R to make sure you have compatible versions.

How do I do that?

> For the CRAN binary we exploit the fact that cc_dynamic is static,
> so once linked into libR it's not needed anymore. Install script
> swaps Makevars and SHLIB for Tiger to remove -lcc_dynamic from the
> flags even though gcc3 is used. This allows us to compile packages
> with gcc3 even if gcc4 is selected.

Hmmm, so do I need to do something similar?  (hoping not)

+ seth