[R-SIG-Mac] Trouble building Rgraphviz: Tiger, cc_dynamic

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Wed Jul 6 16:12:38 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I'm running a built from source R 2.2 (devel) on Tiger.  When I try to
install Rgraphviz, I get this when it tries to link the Rgraphviz.so:

gcc -bundle -flat_namespace -undefined suppress -L/sw/lib -L/usr/local/lib -o Rgraphviz.so Rgraphviz.o RgraphvizInit.o -L/usr/local/lib/graphviz -ldotneato -lm -lcc_dynamic -L/Users/Shared/builds/rpat/lib -lR
/usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lcc_dynamic
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [Rgraphviz.so] Error 1

I rebuilt the graphviz library after upgrading to Tiger and that went
fine.

I saw Bill Northcott's recent post to R-devel in which he writes:

    The purpose of this is to add -lcc_dynamic to the link options
    when linking Fortran code built with an FSF g77 with C libraries
    built with Apple's gcc-3.xx compilers.  (see
    http://www.astro.gla.ac.uk/ users/norman/note/2004/restFP/ for the
    full story.).

Any idea how to avoid having cc_dynamic being added to the link list?

+ seth