[R-SIG-Mac] Problems installing pakages with R.app

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Jan 28 22:58:27 CET 2005

On Jan 28, 2005, at 3:43 PM, Romuald Riem wrote:

> I can't uppgrade sources packages with the GUI because I've messages
> like
> this:
>
> ERROR: failed to lock directory
> '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.0.1/Resources/library' for
> modifying
> Try removing
> '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.0.1/Resources/library/
> 00LOCK'

This means that either an installation was aborted w/o cleanup before
or another installation is already running.

Please note that currently it is not possible in the GUI to
install/update multiple packages simultaneously if authorizing as root,
because the root process is spawned independently via Security
Framework which doesn't give us the child PID and thus the GUI has no
way of serializing the authorized "system" calls. We are investigating
ways around this problem. Installing/upgrading as an admin user w/o the
need to authenticate should work (and individual installs/updates as
root).

> When I use R in the terminal (with sudo), I haven't this problem. I've
> just
> notice this warnings:

The entire environment is completely different in Terminal and the GUI,
thus the warning is probably just trying to tell you that you're
setting up invalid locales in one of your shell startup scripts. This
has no effect on the GUI as it's not ran via a shell.