[R-SIG-Mac] Re: Binary packages on CRAN

Rob J Goedman goedman at mac.com
Tue Jan 11 19:51:45 CET 2005

Denis,

Whenever packages do not install properly on my system, I tend to check
2 items.

The 1st item is the 00LOCK directory created in the install directory.
 From your
emails, that does not seem to be the case. If the 00LOCK directory is
present, I
remove it:

rob-goedmans-Computer:/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.0.1/
Resources/library rob$ ls -lia 00LOCK
total 0
8595945 drwxr-xr-x    3 rob   admin    102 11 Jan 10:24 .
7251315 drwxrwxr-x  562 root  admin  19108 11 Jan 10:24 ..
8088115 drwxr-xr-x   17 root  admin    578 16 Nov 04:25 survival

rob-goedmans-Computer:/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.0.1/
Resources/library rob$ sudo rm -rf 00LOCK/

On very long installs (e.g. update.packages() with many 'y' answers), I
do see the 00LOCK
problem occuring several times. Haven't figured out why this is
happening, e.g. in my last
update run, why in case of survival it does not remove the 00LOCK
directory, but for dse1 or
StatDataML and many others it does.

The 2nd item is the ownership of R.css in the install directory. If it
is root:

rob-goedmans-Computer:/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.0.1/
Resources/library rob$ ls -lia R.css
8521485 -rw-r--r--  1 root  admin  608 11 Jan 10:23 R.css

I change it:

sudo chown rob R.css

I believe this issue can generate the warning message you mentioned. In
this example
I am user 'rob' and in the 'admin' group.

Installing Hmisc from source does trigger 7 or 8 compilations or so.

All of this on 10.3.7 with R-2.0.1 and typically the latest R.app from
Simon.

Hope this helps,
Rob