[R-SIG-Mac] [OT] XEmacs Carbon

Byron Ellis ellis at stat.harvard.edu
Thu Feb 10 22:59:00 CET 2005

This isn't really an R/OS X post, but it may be of interest to ESS
users on OS X. The creator of Emacs Carbon has done a port of XEmacs to
Carbon on OS X. This isn't the carbon branch of XEmacs (the guy working
on that died, I believe) but rather a completely independent port.
Apparently XEmacs' internal structure made it easier to do certain
things like using the ATSUI stuff for Unicode support and a slightly
nicer layout. Those interested should head to

It also has the advantage of being relocatable (!) package so an
enterprising soul could drop ESS into the internal Resources directory
without much trouble. Anyways, thought I'd let y'all know.  :-)

Byron Ellis (ellis at stat.harvard.edu)
"Oook" -- The Librarian