[R-SIG-Mac] How to Speed up R on the G5

stefano iacus stefano.iacus at unimi.it
Tue Feb 8 09:55:48 CET 2005

On Feb 8, 2005, at 9:38 AM, Douglas Bates wrote:

> Regarding the question of whether veclib is parallelized, I'm
> reasonably sure that it is.  A few months ago I compiled a version of
> R using veclib for the BLAS and ran a simple timing test on a matrix
> crossproduct.
>
> mm <- matrix(rnorm(9e6), nc = 3000)
> system.time(crossprod(mm), gc = TRUE)
> system.time(crossprod(mm), gc = TRUE)
> system.time(crossprod(mm), gc = TRUE)
>
> I found on a dual processor system that the elapsed time was about
> half the user CPU time.

yes veclib is parallelized up to what I've read on Apple's site.

btw: has any of you tried to run R in Xgrid ?

About running R using snow & co on Mac OS X, please see

http://adm.wustl.edu/rcluster.php

I'm trying to collect infos about the following
1. running R parallelized code on Mac OS X "the simplest way" (I'm
thinking about BioC people)
2. optimizing R on G5 (the correct way as Martin M. suggested i.e.
running at least make check without fails)

the aim is to write a sort of FAQ page on that or to integrate the
currently (poor) Faq for Mac OS X.

Any of you want to volounteer/contribute?

The svn archive of R.app contains texinfo version of the FAQ and this
should be the right place where to start from

stefano