[R-SIG-Mac] How to Speed up R on the G5

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon Feb 7 17:02:49 CET 2005

On Feb 7, 2005, at 10:47 AM, Thomas Lumley wrote:

>> My second question is whether there are ways other than using
>> --with-blas="-framework vecLib", to take advantage of what I thought
>> was the power of the G5 (or dual G5s in my case).
> I haven't found anything very impressive yet (this is on an iMac G5,
> so with much lower bus speed).

Just enabling G5 optimizations without any other aggressive flags gave
me 30% boost on the code I was testing (on a dual G5 - btw: just in
case someone didn't know - for computations one R process uses only one
processor). But I think vecLib should be pretty well optimized by Apple
already, so I don't know of any much faster BLAS implementation for OS
X ...