[R-SIG-Mac] R 2.2 crash

Tracy Lightcap altlamp at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 6 21:22:21 CET 2005

I have installed R2.2 (R Cocoa GUI 1.13 (1915)) on my B&W 350 Powermac
(640MB)  running OS 10.3.8. The program crashes on boot. The crash file
is as follows:

Host Name:      Tracy-Lightcaps-Computer.local
Date/Time:      2005-12-06 13:12:14 -0500
OS Version:     10.3.8 (Build 7U16)
Report Version: 2

Command: R

Link (dyld) error:

dyld: /Applications/R.app/Contents/MacOS/R Undefined symbols:
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib/libR.dylib undefined
reference to _cacos expected to be defined in
/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib/libR.dylib undefined
reference to _cacosh expected to be defined in
/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib/libR.dylib undefined
reference to _carg expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib/libR.dylib undefined
reference to _casin expected to be defined in
/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib/libR.dylib undefined
reference to _casinh expected to be defined in
/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib/libR.dylib undefined
reference to _catan expected to be defined in
/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib/libR.dylib undefined
reference to _catanh expected

I already had R 2.1 on the machine and installed R 2.2 as an update
from a disk image without removing the older application.
Interestingly, the installer reported R 2.2 as a downgrade instead of
an upgrade on installation; I assumed this was a bug. When R 2.2 failed
to boot, I removed R.app and tried reinstallation from the disk image
with the same result. It looks like part of dylib didn't install.  Any
ideas about what is going on here?

Tracy Lightcap
Associate Professor
Political Science