[R-SIG-Mac] please recommend an editor

Michael Toews mwtoews at sfu.ca
Tue Dec 6 21:55:08 CET 2005

This is a related remark to this topic and the icon topic of last week.
I'm not sure how file associations work between OS X apps and their
extensions, however R.app doesn't appear to "own" any file extensions
when it is installed, and they have generic or blank icons. Perhaps the
individual keen on making icons from the email discussion last week
could make new icons for "*.R" files, which might look like R-code with
the R logo; an icon for "*.RData" which could look like those DB
cylinders with the R logo; and another icon for "*.Rd" files
(document-like text with the R logo?).
I forget if I had to manually get the "*.RData" extension to "Open
with..." R.app, but this should be an automatic association after
install; same goes for the "*.R" files.
The default behavior for double-clicking an "*.R" file should not open
XCode, and should not be associated with an XCode "*.r" Resource Manager
file icon. (I'm defiantly not sure if app file ownership in OS X is case
sensitive, because in an ideal UNIX world "*.r" extensions and "*.R" are
different, which they are in this case.)
Anyways, just a thought.
+mt