[R-SIG-Mac] Problem with tcl/tk for R in Tiger

James Wettenhall wettenhall at wehi.EDU.AU
Wed Aug 17 03:18:39 CEST 2005

Bernard,

>> I have done a couple of remedies:
>> 1) Tried installing tcl and tk 8.4 from source

That should work (configure, make, sudo make install).  Did you get any
errors?  Can you run X11 OK?  Can you run wish OK?  (I think you should
have   wish in /usr/local/bin/ if you installed Tcl/Tk from source in the
usual way.)

>> 2) Tried to install the version of tcltk from the fink sourceforge net.

I have not had much success using fink.  Your other approaches (and the
one suggested by Kasper) sound better to me.

>> 3) Tried to change the path

Well if you can't even do library(tcltk), then you don't have a chance to
do  addTclPath("...") from R, or tclvalue("auto_path") (and you shouldn't
need to anyway).  I assume that when you installed Tcl/Tk from source, you
put it in the standard place (/usr/local/) so R knows where to look for
it?  This of course requires admin privileges which is why I said "sudo
make install" earlier.  If this is installed in the usual way, you
shouldn't need to mess around with PATH environment variables.

As Kasper mentioned, there is now an option to install Tcl/Tk when you
install R (I'm not sure what directory this Tcl/Tk goes into, but R should
definitely be able to find it without you having to do anything special.)

I suppose you have tried the trick in the R for MacOSX FAQ,
Sys.putenv(DISPLAY=":0.0"), (or something similar - I don't have R with me
to check the syntax).

If X11 is running correctly (i.e. you can use x11() from within R), and
you have installed Tcl/Tk correctly, then the only thing I can think of is
whether it is possible that R and Tcl/Tk were built with different
versions of compilers.  Have you installed a non-standard C compiler,
different from what usually comes with the Tiger Developer Tools?

>> and it does not work.
>>
>> Does anyone have a solution to this problem  as I need tcltk to run
>> limmaGUI?

When you install Tktable, I'd recommend installing it from source (which
should be no problem if you have the developer tools).  I did build a
binary version of Tktable for people without developer tools and put it on
the limmaGUI site, but it may not be binary compatible with the latest
MacOSX, R etc. - I'll post a more recently-built Mac binary of Tktable to
the limmaGUI site soon.  Someone else is actually taking over maintenance
of limmaGUI now - hopefully he'll figure out all of the cross-platfrom
R-Tcl/Tk installation issues!

Good luck,
James