[R-SIG-Mac] R 2.1.0 for Mac OS X released
stefano.iacus at unimi.it
Thu Apr 28 15:48:10 CEST 2005
[apologizes for cross-posting]
In addition to support for innovations in R itself (see the official
R-2.1.0 announcement, accessible via the Help menu) this new version
provides a very significant, must-have update of the Cocoa-based GUI
- Major enhancements to the built-in editor, such as configurable
syntax coloring, brace highlighting, line numbers, submission of edited
text and a toolbar featuring access to a function index field for fast
access to chunk of codes and abbreviated help.
- Drag and drop capability has been extended and startup behavior is
controlled by the user via preference settings (e.g. the initial
working directory can be specified once in the preferences or can be
changed at startup using the location of a directory/file dropped on
the R icon).
- Command history loading and saving is compatible to R versions on
- Enhanced command and/or file completion on the R Console.
- Configurable Quartz graphics settings to override standard R settings.
- Quartz windows can be saved (in PDF format) and printed directly from
- R.app is fully internationalized, supporting special characters.
- Localized versions for English, German, French, Italian and Japanese
(in high demand!) are available.
- Enhanced integrated help system.
- Substantially updated Mac OS X FAQ to reflect changes in the new
version of R.app.
- CRAN mirror can be now specified by the user interactively or in
preferences and the choice applies to all internet activity related to
packages installation and updating.
- Improved installer for contributed packages, resolving several issues
(e.g. on authentication).
- Updated, pre-compiled binaries for Mac OS X for hundreds of available
R source packages, including the BioConductor suite(*).
- Many fixes and optimizations to speed up R.app and to add stability
to the GUI.
This version requires Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) or higher and it is fully
compatible with upcoming Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger), even using some new,
exciting features of Tiger! Mac OS X 10.2 users can still work with
previous versions of R.app.
(*) Note for BioConductor users: BioC v1.5 is not compatible with
R-2.1.0 and BioC v1.6 (compatible with R-2.1.0) is announced for May
16th 2005. So BioC OS X binaries for this release of R 2.1.0 will be
available after May 16th 2005.
More information about the R-SIG-Mac