[R-SIG-Mac] R locale on Mac OS X

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Apr 27 16:07:14 CEST 2005

Hi Kjell,

On Apr 27, 2005, at 4:36 AM, Kjell Konis wrote:

> I just built R 2.1.0 on my mini following all of the instructions
> on Stefano's site.  Now when I start R the initial message is in
> German but my workspace gets restored in Italian.  Errors and
> warnings are in German as well.

As with all Mac posts nowadays - please tell us how exactly you use
it (Terminal, Emacs, R.app,...) which versions of the accompanying
programs etc.

If you use R from (any) shell, regular unix rules apply - i.e. the
locale is determined by your environment settings. Therefore by
setting the local environment variables you choose the locale. Still,
I'm wondering how you get that mix of german and italian - I'd really
like to have steps to reproduce this.. dump of your environment vars
would be helpful..

If you're using the GUI (R.app) then things are different. The GUI
uses your System Settings to set the locale - i.e. make sure you have
set both "Language" and "Formats" correctly. If you use the most
recent R.app from the SVN then you can set "ignore.system.locale" to
YES in "org.R-project.R" defaults to force english locale. In the
case you use R.app - what language are the menus in?