[R] Re: [R-SIG-Mac] BUG in RODBC with OS X?

Drew Balazs drew.balazs at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 19:26:43 CEST 2005

On Apr 11, 2005 10:56 AM, Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, Simon Urbanek wrote:
>
> > Drew,
> >
> > On Apr 8, 2005, at 11:53 AM, Drew Balazs wrote:
> >
> >> This is my second posting on this topic, the first recieved no
> >> replies.  Has anyone successfully used RODBC on the OS X platform?
> >
> > Yes - it works pretty much out of the box. I tested it with the Actual
> > drivers and they work pretty well (although I don't have any MS box to test
> > the MS SQL part of it).
> >
> >> If I try to connect through the GUI using  chan <-
> >> odbcConnect("drewdb", uid="user", pwd ="pwd") it simply crashes R with
> >> the following crash report:
> >
> > Well, you didn't send the crash report, but only a small (unfortunately
> > useless) part of it. Given the error below, chances are that the error is
> > caused by the driver. As of the GUI, you should include the version (and
> > possibly revision) of the GUI along with the full report so we can try to
> > track it down. However, this won't help with the ODBC problem you have.
> >
> >> However, if I try it through an xterm (command line), I get the following:
> >>
> >> Warning messages:
> >> 1: [RODBC] ERROR: state IM004, code 0, message [iODBC][Driver
> >> Manager]Driver's SQLAllocEnv() failed
> >
> > If you think this is not a driver problem, you should consider contacting the
> > package maintainer, although I don't give it much hope as most ODBC problems
> > are driver-related (and most drivers have very little OS X support).
> > Alternatively you could ask on the  iODBC pages.
>
> He would point out that is an iODBC error message and send you to iODBC
> support.

While iODBC maybe be a player in this, I think its not alone. Below
are the results for both the iODBC and Actual drivers. The use of the
actual drivers result in a seg fault.

(Using the openlink iodbc drivers)
> chan <- odbcConnect("drewdb", uid="user", pwd ="pwd")
Warning messages:
1: [RODBC] ERROR: state IM004, code 0, message [iODBC][Driver
Manager]Driver's SQLAllocEnv() failed
2: ODBC connection failed in: odbcDriverConnect(st, case = case,
believeNRows = believeNRows)

(Using the Actual drivers)
> chan <- odbcConnect("drewsql", uid="user", pwd ="pwd")
Segmentation fault
The-Data-Mangler:~ drew$

-Drew