[R-SIG-Mac] cocoa packages

Byron Ellis bellis at hsph.harvard.edu
Tue Oct 26 13:02:15 CEST 2004

Hi all, a bit inspired this evening. Managed (with a small change to
SHLIB and INSTALL to make it recognize .m files) to successfully build
a small proof-of-concept package that

1) installs some extra menus (and items) into the main menu bar
2) attach those menu items to a controller object inside the package
3) locate and instantiate a NIB located within the package in response
to a menu call.

Its very simple code, email me and I'll send you the somewhat ugly
package as it stands (it ain't pretty).

I think it could be useful for adding S-PLUS-like functionality to the
R GUI. Maybe for use in things like introductory statistics courses (or
Computational Biology courses). On the whole, a lot prettier than
Tcl/Tk and with some more work we could probably write selector targets
in R (a la CamelBones or PyObjC).

Its 4am, good night

(BTW, Stefano, I was working on adding the navigation buttons when this
occurred to me. I promise :-) )

---
Byron Ellis (ellis at stat.harvard.edu)
"Oook" -- The Librarian