[R-SIG-Mac] Cocoa GUI feature request (with patch!)

Tamas K Papp tpapp at Princeton.EDU
Thu Oct 21 22:40:03 CEST 2004

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 12:11:16PM -0700, Byron Ellis wrote:

> Of course---I had just placed ESS into the category of First (and Most
> Venerable) of the Unbundled GUIs as opposed to "command-line R." The
> rest of us will be playing catch-up with ESS for long time :-)

It would be really nice if ESS users on OS X could make full use of
the new quartz() device of R.

I proposed a solution (or an idea towards one) to Simon Urbanek, but I
am posting it here in the hope that somebody has time to work on this:
Would it be possible to make a simple interface program to RAqua that
acts like a command-line R process, communicating via stdin/stdout?
The user could open R.app, then start this process which would find
the running R.app and communicate with it somehow, and with Emacs/ESS
using stdin/stdout.

I understand that free software projects are developed through the
kindness of programmers who devote time to writing code.  I can't
program in anything but R (and Octave ;-) so I cannot do this myself,
but it would be really nice if some ESS/OS X/R user with programming
skills could.

Thanks,

Tamas