[R-SIG-Mac] clarity of fonts in graphics?

William Revelle wr at revelle.net
Tue Oct 19 18:30:43 CEST 2004

Dear R-Mac developers.

I am now using R 2.0.0 and find it a very nice improvement over
1.9.1.  Thank you for all of the work.

  However, I do have a problem with the clarity of the fonts in the
Quartz window.  I am sure that I am missing something, but what?

My problem is best seen in the following code:

x=rnorm(1000)
quartz(height=6,width=9)      #make a window suitable for printing

par(mfrow=c(1,1))
hist(x,xlab="Horizontal label is clear", main="and Title is as well")
#this one is fine

par(mfrow=c(2,2))
hist(x,xlab="Horizontal label is still clear", main="and Title is")
#as is this one

par(mfrow=c(3,2))
hist(x,xlab="Horizontal label is no longer clear", main="but Title
is") #but this one blurs the xlab

(obviously I am leaving out the other histograms in the 2,2 and 3,2 cases.)

This same code produced crystal clear graphics in 1.9.1

Bill