[R-SIG-Mac] questions and suggestions for R gui

stefano iacus stefano.iacus at unimi.it
Wed Nov 17 22:35:14 CET 2004

On Nov 17, 2004, at 10:07 PM, Denis Chabot wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I really like the new R mac gui, but I am not sure yet if it behaves
> unexpectedly at times or if it is just my limited knowledge of R. In
> particular I did not look very much for what has changed between R 1.9
> and R 2, so I may do stupid things.
>
> It seems to me that in the previous R on Mac (1.9), all menu
> selections resulted in feedback in the console. It does not seem to be
> the case anymore. This is confusing because getting feedback some of
> the time leaves you wondering if things are OK the rest of the time.
> For instance, in package manager, if I select mgcv, I get "This is
> mgcv 1.1-8" in the console. But if I take MASS, nothing happens in the
> console.
you are right, we will add an option for this

> In preferences, I don't seen a way to permanently set my working
> directory anymore. Choosing it with "change working directory" and
> saving my working directory when quitting R does not set the working
> directory permanently either.

still not implemented
> In preferences for the quartz device, the "change" button to select a
> font does nothing.

this is not working yet, this is my fault.
> Also, while acknowledging the immense amount of work that the authors
> of R gui have done, I would like to make a suggestion so that R gui
> would be yet more mac like. In things like Package Manager, we click
> on packages we'd like to load, but there is no button to select an
> action to be taken on our selection. We have to "close" the window and
> the packages get loaded.

this is not the case anymore in R 2.0, it was like that on 1.9.x old
GUI. Now if you check the "load" check mark, you'll see R trying to
load the package. If everything goes right the check mark stays
"checked" otherwise is switched back to unchecked status.
stefano