[R-SIG-Mac] Some suggestions for R.app

Kjell Konis konis at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon May 10 13:59:54 CEST 2004

Hello,

I have been playing around with R-1.9.0 for a few days now and I have a
few suggestions.

1) Why not put R.framework in R.app/Contents/Frameworks?  I tried this
and everything seems to work fine.  Here is the modification to
R.app/Contents/MacOS/R to get it to work:

#!/bin/sh
# Shell wrapper for R executable.

R_HOME_DIR=$0
R_HOME_DIR=`dirname ${R_HOME_DIR}`
R_HOME_DIR=`dirname ${R_HOME_DIR}`
R_HOME_DIR=${R_HOME_DIR}/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources

#R_HOME_DIR=/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources

<...>

2) Put the library in ~/Library/Application Support/R/library rather
than ~/Library/R/library.  Also, does the library function search in
/Library/Application Support/R/library and /Network/Library/Application
Support/R/library (without the Application Support I guess) for
packages when lib.loc is NULL?

3) Use the prefix from the configure stage when installing R.app (i.e.
install it at ${prefix}/R.app).  This will allow maintainers of fink /
darwinports / portage to package R.app more easily.

I hope these are helpful.

Kjell