[R-SIG-Mac] R-Tcl/Tk on MacOS X

James Wettenhall wettenhall at wehi.edu.au
Tue Jun 29 12:50:30 CEST 2004

Hi,

I have an R-Tcl/Tk application and I do most of my testing on
Windows and Linux, but I am presenting a workshop soon for which
participants will need to install the software on their own
laptops beforehand, and I may get some installation questions
from MacOS X users.  I was just hoping to check on this list
whether the strategy I used to install my R package and its
requirements on MacOS X last year (with R 1.7.0) is still
appropriate for 1.9.x.

My main question is this:  Does the latest R for MacOS X
work better with X11 Tcl/Tk than Aqua Tcl/Tk?  Or, put another
way, is one easier to install than the other?  From memory, X11
was preferred for 1.7.0 (the last R for OS X version I tried).
My R-Tcl/Tk package requires the BWidget and TkTable extensions.
BWidget contains only Tcl scripts (no shared libraries/compiled
code) so it is very easy to install, but TkTable has a compiled
shared library, so it is very important that users know whether
they have an Aqua version (e.g. from TclTkAquaBI) or an X11
version.  I have built an X11 version at:
http://bioinf.wehi.edu.au/limmaGUI/Tktable2.8MacOSX_X11.zip

Best regards,
James