[R-SIG-Mac] If you use R from the Terminal ...

Byron Ellis bellis at hsph.harvard.edu
Sun Jun 6 19:17:19 CEST 2004

On Jun 6, 2004, at 10:47 AM, elijah wright wrote:

>> as I do, it  makes sense to set in your Rprofile.site
>>
>>         options(editor="/usr/bin/open")
>>
>> otherwise file.show() and file.edit() will open files in vi.
>> Yes, I said vi.
>
> from the POV of a "traditional unix user", this is 100% expected
> behavior.
>
> folks are probably better off learning enough of the vi commandset to
> cope, rather than using workarounds... it pays off in the long run.
>
> --elijah

Actually, no. The expected UNIX behavior is to open whatever editor you
tell it to open. Claiming that people should 'cope' with vi is missing
the point (and besides, the default editor is totally arbitrary. Linux
happens to use 'vi' most everywhere, but a different UNIX could dump
you out into 'ed' just as easily. There's no inherent advantage to
knowing 'vi' except the prevalence of Linux systems).

---
Byron Ellis (bellis at hsph.harvard.edu)
"Oook" -- The Librarian