[R-SIG-Mac] Trace/BPT trap, tools for debugging

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at math.uni-augsburg.de
Mon Jul 12 12:42:45 CEST 2004

On Jul 12, 2004, at 12:19 PM, Ingmar Visser wrote:

> I am building a package on Mac OS X using C++ and Fortran.
> I am getting a "Trace/BPT trap" error which means nothing to me I'm
> afraid.
> [...]
> Can anyone help me with this particular error and/or point me to
> strategies
> for debugging C++ code when building packages fo R.

The error isn't helpful usually. If there is really no further messages
(about libraries, symbols etc.), then you may want to run R in a
debugger. For example you can use gdb - start R like this:

R -d gdb

then type
run

after messing around with your library to get the error you can get a
stack trace with
bt

for details see the help command in the gdb.

(Alternative way of attaching a gdb into a running R process is to run
gdb and type "attach R.bin")

I hope it helps...