[R-SIG-Mac] Building R for MacOS X

Simon Urbanek Simon.Urbanek at math.uni-augsburg.de
Tue Jul 6 10:06:32 CEST 2004

On Jul 6, 2004, at 2:58 AM, James Wettenhall wrote:

> On MacOS X, I see a few potential hurdles.  One is that the
> current R installation mechanism seems to require root
> privileges,

Not necessarily. As on any unix system you can build and install R
without root privileges. Also note that on Mac OS X there are a kind of
three levels - root, admin and user. Depending on the location you can
install R using any of them.
Also note that you can build R in a directory different from the
installation directory (although it's not trivial, since you need to
fix dylibs). Packaging also doesn't require you to have the files in
the target position, arbitrary directory is fine, too.

---
Simon Urbanek
Department of computer oriented statistics and data analysis
University of Augsburg
Universitätsstr. 14
86135 Augsburg
Germany