[R-SIG-Mac] FW: [R] Mac OS X 10.2.8 versus 10.3.4 package load failure

Ingmar Visser i.visser at uva.nl
Thu Jul 1 12:42:56 CEST 2004

Hello All,
I had sent the following question to R-help:

> I have built a package depmix and build a source package file from it for
> distribution. I have done all this on the following platform:
>
> platform powerpc-apple-darwin6.8
> arch     powerpc
> os       darwin6.8
> system   powerpc, darwin6.8
> status
> major    1
> minor    9.0
> year     2004
> month    04
> day      12
> language R
>
> When I install the package using the menu Packages > Install from local file
> From source package file (tar.gz) the package installs without problems.
>
> However when I do the same another MAC OS X (10.2.8), I get the following
> error message:
>
> Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
>     unable to
> load shared library "/Users/564/Library/R/library/depmix/libs/depmix.so":
>
> dlcompat: dyld: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/R.bin
> Undefined
> symbols:
> _btowc
> _iswctype
> _mbsrtowcs
> _towlower
> _towupper
> _wcscoll
> _wcsftime
>
> _wcslen
> _wcsrtombs
> _wcsxfrm
> _wctob
> _wctype
> _wmemchr
> _wmemcmp
> _wmemcpy
> _wmemm
> ove
> _wmemset
> Error in library(depmix) : .First.lib failed

To which Brian Ripley replied  "the problem is that you compiled the code
with wide characters, and on your 10.2.8 the support functions are not
compiled into the R binary (which is what I would expect)."

Has anyone had similar problems? and solved them?

In particular, what can i do about these wide characters?

regards, ingmar visser

--
Ingmar Visser
Department of Psychology, University of Amsterdam