Fwd: [R-SIG-Mac] WINE

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
Mon Jan 26 18:39:39 MET 2004

I stand corrected. It would be nicer if we could actually recompile
Wintel
programs and not use emulation. That rules out using the commercial
programs, but it does allow all open source, and even the commercials
could recompile their stuff if they wanted to (not unlike using native
versions of the various toolkits).

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Simon Urbanek <Simon.Urbanek at math.uni-augsburg.de>
> Date: January 26, 2004 9:12:17 PST
> To: Jan de Leeuw <deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu>
> Subject: Re: [R-SIG-Mac] WINE
>
> On Jan 26, 2004, at 5:50 PM, Jan de Leeuw wrote:
>
>> WINE (Wine Is Not an Emulator) is a native interface to the Windows
>> API's, so you can compile and then run Windows programs on
>> the native system (so it's not an emulator such as Virtual PC, which
>> emulates
>> and Intel CPU on another CPU). Wine runs on Linux.
>
> Well, that's not completely true. WINE doesn't need to emulate on
> Intel machines, because it just means running Intel code on an Intel
> machine. Therefore WINE basically provides Win32 API programs. So far,
> so good (I've been using WINE on my PCs ...).
>
> But WINE cannot possibly run on a Mac w/o emulation. It needs to
> emulate Intel CPU, otherwise you need to re-compile the Win32 program
> anyway, which defies the purpose - running real (Intel-compiled) Win32
> programs ...
>
> Note: "The first phase is the port of WINE to Darwin/x86 with XDarwin
> (XFree86)" - well, that's (fairly) easy, but won't help us, Mac folks.
> "The second phase is to then port WINE to Darwin/PPC and Mac OS X by
> integrating the Bochs IA-32 interpreter" - now, effectively this means
> emulating an Intel machine (IA-32) via Bochs - so we're back at what
> VirtualPC does, except for the fact that it's free ;)
>
>> There is now a pre-Alpha of WINE for Panther on Sourceforge. I'll
>> track
>> it. Eventually it means that twisted persons, such as me,  can compile
>> and run the Windows version of R natively on OS X.
>
> Effectively this is not different from using VirtualPC - the only
> difference will be that it should be possible to avoid Windows desktop
> and use individual windows, which can intertwine with Aqua windows
> (hopefully). Anyway due to the emulation I doubt it's worth the hassle
> except maybe for finding all the bugs in the Windows GUI ;).
>
> ---
> Simon Urbanek
> Department of computer oriented statistics and data analysis
> University of Augsburg
> Universitätsstr. 14
> 86135 Augsburg
> Germany
>
> Tel: +49-821-598-2236
> Fax: +49-821-598-2200
>
> Simon.Urbanek at Math.Uni-Augsburg.de
> http://simon.urbanek.info

===
Jan de Leeuw; Professor and Chair, UCLA Department of Statistics;
Editor: Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Journal of Statistical
Software
US mail: 8130 Math Sciences Bldg, Box 951554, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1554
phone (310)-825-9550;  fax (310)-206-5658;  email: deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
homepage: http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu

           No matter where you go, there you are. --- Buckaroo Banzai
                    http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu/sounds/nomatter.au