[R-SIG-Mac] Re: [Rpy] Rpy-0.3.4 on OS X (10.3.3)

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Tue Feb 17 22:55:03 MET 2004

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, Jan de Leeuw wrote:

> I would not add -Xlinker -m to the setup. Apple advises strongly
> against it, because it is unclear you want the first definition in the
> link. Using 'extern' is the way to go. Also -dynamic is the default
> for gcc.

In general Apple is right -- it is unclear that you want the first
definition, because they could be definitions of different symbols that
just happen to use the same name. However, if the code is correct on other
Unices (which collapse all the definitions into a single storage location)
it can't matter which one is used.

	-thomas