[R-SIG-Mac] saving graphs; jpeg(), bitmap()

Denis Chabot chabotd at globetrotter.net
Thu Dec 9 12:45:02 CET 2004

Hi Tiago,

I am surprised pdf() does not work for you, I use it all the time both
under Mac OS X 10.2.8 (old R gui, R2.0.1) and OS 10.3.6 (new R gui, R
2.0.1). This file format is one of the things that I really like in R.
Great output quality in small file size. Works well in all my
applications (except Microsoft products, shame on MS).

I use JPEG only when it is requested by an editor (only happened once
for a conference proceedings, the editor did not know a better way to
handle without pain (for him) graphics from users on different
platforms. Otherwise I avoid it for scientific graphs as it is
resolution dependent and zooming quickly reveals pixels and compression
artefacts. Beside, even though JPEG greatly reduces the size of
bitmaps, the resulting file is still larger than PDF or other vector
formats.

Hence I hope you can resolve what prevents you from using pdf() in your
scripts. Did you use
dev.off()
to terminate file creation?

Sincerely,