[R-SIG-Mac] saving graphs; jpeg(), bitmap()

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at math.uni-augsburg.de
Thu Dec 9 05:58:55 CET 2004

On Dec 8, 2004, at 11:39 PM, elijah wright wrote:

>> As of Apple's X11 - look in Applications -> Utilities and there
>> should be X11. But XDarwin and other X11 are usually mutually
>> exclusive, so I doubt that you have Apple's X11. I have no idea why
>> someone would install XDarwin instead of Apple's X11 nowadays, it
>> makes no sense to me, but maybe someone can explain that.
>
> my guess was that he had 10.1 or 10.2 with Xdarwin, then upgraded to
> 10.3. this could result in 10.3+XDarwin.

Hmm.. for 10.2 there was the Apple beta already, but you're right, a
much-updated system may have XD for historical reasons - but I'd get
rid of it asap :P. On the other hand, supposedly fink is installed,
too, but fink is incompatible across versions, you can't upgrade, you
must re-install, so it seems like a quite messed up system to me ;).
Ah, well, wait for Tiger, that should make fink obsolete even for
Bioconductor ... (hopefully...) ;)

> mostly xdarwin binaries seemed to die, at some point, though... there
> was some kinda timeout built into at least some versions of it.

Yes, it was more a hack than stable platform - but up to 10.1 you had
no choice ... I especially hated the WM - it didn't cooperate well with
other windows and in general copy/paste was a pain... I don't miss that
:P