[R-SIG-Mac] Trying again: package for Growl Notifications

Byron Ellis ellis at stat.harvard.edu
Thu Dec 9 01:54:02 CET 2004

For some reason this never went out to the list last night, so I'll
give it another shot (apologies if the original mysteriously appears):

I got tired of patching the GUI source tree so I wrapped up my Growl
Notifications as a package. As an added bonus it also now works from
command-line R as well (ESS, X11, etc) though it can't detect when the
command-line R is active and suppress notifications. I also added a
'growlnotify' function that lets you send an arbitrary notification
message from R.

Sources at:

http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~bcellis/growl_1.0.tar.gz

Binaries at:

http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~bcellis/growl_1.0_R_powerpc-apple-
darwin7.6.0.tar.gz

built using R-devel (2004-11-30) on 10.3.6. It should work on any of
the R GUIs since it patches R_Busy directly. I even documented things a
little bit :-)

Look for:

growlnotify
growlSystemNotifications

If it seems like things are reasonable stable, I'll probably submit the
package to CPAN at some point. Feedback appreciated.

P.S. Using hints from DTL's RObjectiveC makefile this package uses
Objective-C without requiring a patched version of R's build scripts.
With method swizzling, little packages have become my favored method of
prototyping and providing GUI features for myself.... just in case
y'all were interested :-)

---
Byron Ellis (ellis at stat.harvard.edu)
"Oook" -- The Librarian