[R-SIG-Mac] problems with tkrplot

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
Sun Dec 5 18:44:27 CET 2004

Yes, there is a way to make it work. You have to download it, then
build it
with R CMD INSTALL, and then move to the src directory and repeat the
final link
statement (cut and paste) with the "--bundle -o tkrplot.so" replaced by
"--dynamic -o libtkrplot.dylib". Then move libtrkplot.dylib by hand to
the lib dirctory
of the tkrplot installation and change the code at the end of tkrplot.R
such that
it uses the dylib extension.

R CMS SHLIB just builds a bundle, not a library.

On Dec 5, 2004, at 3:55 AM, Jean Thioulouse wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to use the tkrplot library and get the following error.
>
>> library(tkrplot)
> Error in structure(.External("dotTcl", ..., PACKAGE = "tcltk"), class
> = "tclObj") :
>           [tcl] dyld:
> /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/exec/R malformed
> library:
> /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/tkrplot/libs/
> tkrplot.so (not a Mach-O library file, bad filetype value)
> .
> Error in library(tkrplot) : .First.lib failed for 'tkrplot'
>

> I have tried to install the latest version of the tcl/tk library
> (8.4.8),
> and to rebuild the latest R-devel without --with-aqua, but I still
> have this problem.
>
> X11 and the tcltk package work without problem.
>
> As explained by Jan,
>
> At 14:04 -0700 2/05/04, Jan de Leeuw wrote:
>> This is because tkrplot has to be linked with options "--dynamic -o
>> tkrplot.dylib" instead of "--bundle -o tkrplot.so". You also have to
>> change the tkrplot.R file so that it recognizes the dylib extension.
>
> I tried to link tkrplot (with R CMD SHILB) and to change tkrplot.R,
> but it still says it is not a Mach-O library file :
>
>> library(tkrplot)
> Error in structure(.External("dotTcl", ..., PACKAGE = "tcltk"), class
> = "tclObj") :
>         [tcl] dyld:
> /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/exec/R malformed
> library:
> /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/tkrplot/libs/
> tkrplot.dylib (not a Mach-O library file, bad filetype value)
> .
> Error in library(tkrplot) : .First.lib failed for 'tkrplot'
>

> Is there a way to make it work ?
>
> Thanks
> Jean
>

> --
> Jean Thioulouse - Laboratoire de Biometrie et Biologie Evolutive
> Universite Lyon 1 - Bat  711 - 69622 Villeurbanne Cedex - France
> Fax: (33) 4 78 89 27 19              Tel/Fax: (33) 4 72 43 27 56
>           http://pbil.univ-lyon1.fr/ADE-4/JTHome.html

===
Jan de Leeuw; Distinguished Professor and Chair, UCLA Department of
Statistics;
Editor: Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Journal of Statistical
Software
US mail: 8130 Math Sciences Bldg, Box 951554, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1554
phone (310)-825-9550;  fax (310)-206-5658;  email: deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
homepage: http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu