[R-SIG-Mac] RAqua, Darwin/X11 R, and tcltk

Simon Urbanek Simon.Urbanek at math.uni-augsburg.de
Thu Oct 9 20:05:02 MEST 2003

On Thursday, October 9, 2003, at 06:05  PM, Jan de Leeuw wrote:

> What does not work:
> [...]

Since Jan is at it, I'll add my problem:

RAqua + Java doesn't work. What happens is that RAqua crashes with a
segfault after a while (you don't even have to run any Java code except
for initialization). Producing any system events in RAqua (clicking,
moving windows etc. will do the trick) accelerates the process, i.e. it
happens almost immediately. This is not really a fault of Java, but
rather due to the RAqua design (imho). The entire solution of RAqua
seems to me very 'hacked' (just to have something in time for 1.8) and
I hope we can do much better.
The main problem here is that the event handling is incompatible with
other applications. If you fire up Java, it needs to poll for system
events as well. But since RAqua uses its own (unsynchronized) polling,
the whole event system crashes. It is not a particular code (the crash
is every time at a different location, mostly in a system thread i.e.
outside R and Java), but rather a design issue.
I suspect that taking any OS X native application (e.g. Cocoa-based)
will cause exactly the same problem - Java was just the first I saw to
trigger this.
Running the same program in the console works fine (no wonder - no
event polling there ;)).

Presumably most of the problems (except from the
I'm-using-the-wrong-library-problem) posted by Jan will go away once we
have the new event loop in R and everyone (incl. tcl/tk and aqua) uses
it.

Since Jan was listing what doesn't work, I just wanted to let you know
about it ;). I'm going to fiddle around with the event polling issue
and see if it can be fixed.

---
Simon Urbanek
Department of computer oriented statistics and data analysis
University of Augsburg
Universitätsstr. 14
86135 Augsburg
Germany