[R-SIG-Mac] Re:Help.start() issues]

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sun Nov 16 19:14:31 MET 2003

George W. Gilchrist wrote:

Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 09:25:10 -0500
> From: "George W. Gilchrist" <gwgilc at wm.edu>
> Subject: [R-SIG-Mac] Help.start() issues

> Sorry to bother folks, but what browsers are known to work for help.start()
> on OS X (just installed Panther...)? I use Safari for most things, but it
> does not seem to work for /usr/local/lib/R/doc/html/index.html. Something
> about the Java script involved in searching does not run correctly. I have
> the same problem with Netscape 7.1. The last "success" I had was with
> Netscape 7.0. Does anyone have a better suggestion? Thanks, as always.

The string needed to get either Mozilla 1.3.1 or Safari 1.0(v85) to open
that file from the browser window is
file:///usr/local/lib/R/doc/html/index.html
I failed the first few times because I did not use three slashes. I may
have more files around than persons who just installed RAqua since I
installed R 1.7 under X11.  So I cannot comment on whether the RAqua
installation would put that file there.

But that is not the file my Jaguar 10.2.6 RAqua (R 1.8.0) installation
Help/R Help menu item (as well as help.start() ) opens. Rather it goes to:
file:///tmp/Rtmp615/.R/doc/html/index.html

Would this information be useful?
http://maths.newcastle.edu.au/~rking/R/help/03b/1779.html

I am wondering whether Safari is having problems with whatever is at
your value of options("help.db"). Did Apple change how the open command
works in the Panther release? When I go to the tmp/../html/ directory in
an X11 terminal window and enter "open index.html" Safari opens up that
file properly.

David Winsemius, R newbie, Mac OS X newbie;  Mac, GLIM and SAS oldie