[R-SIG-Mac] small steps ahead from fink in building R Darwin/X11 port

Stefano Iacus jago at mclink.it
Thu May 29 17:27:59 MEST 2003

On Giovedì, mag 29, 2003, at 07:34 Europe/Rome, Jan de Leeuw wrote:

> On Wednesday, May 28, 2003, at 20:25 US/Pacific, Don MacQueen wrote:
>
>> This --enable-fink option looks like a very good thing. Thank you.
>
> I think the enable-fink is an option to compile dlcompar from
> opendarwin
>

>> How does it work? Does it mean that during installation the necessary
>> files are downloaded from fink, used during make, and then deleted?
>>
>> I find jpeg and tcltk to be very useful; does --enable-fink include
>> them among the capabilities?
>
> you can use them from fink or install them in /usr/local yourself.
> observe that darwinports, the other
> major porting project, installs everything in /opt, which is not much
> better than /sw

absolutely, but this version of dlcompat installa in the right place in
/usr

>> I notice that cledit is shown as FALSE among the capabilities listed
>> below. Is that the capability that is enabled when libreadlines is
>> available? If so, I feel that it is essential.
>
> yes, command-line edit is readline, again either from fink or your own
> in /usr/lib
>

> it seems to me fink is (still) a necessary evil, and we should not get
> to be too worked up about it

yes it is for few things but my aim is to let the "standard" mac user
be able to build (R and) the packages on its own.
The main problem with fink is that you need to know several things (for
example as pointed out by you, the g77 must to be from the unstable
tree of fink and you have to configure fink for this).

Fink is not "evil" :) it is really good, but I would like people to
install things they need to build R using double-clicking installers
and so on and I'm also looking forward for the next Apple Dev. Tools to
see what's inside.
Probably Jan knows better then me what's going on.

Stefano