[R-SIG-Mac] Re: Rcmdr package

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
Tue May 13 16:06:22 MEST 2003

For our purposes, OS X just another Unix, and thus it uses
X11 for graphics, and it uses the tcl/tk compiled for X11.

There is no R for OS X yet that uses the native(Aqua) tcl/tk.
You can run R by using the Python IDE and Rpy, and then
r.library("Rcmdr") works and puts up a native tcl/tk interface.
But this does not call back properly to the underlying R yet,
which is not that surprising since it has to go
through the Rpy, Tkinter, and Python layers to get to R.
Many things can go wrong on the way.