[R-SIG-Mac] Rmap package and Darwin/X11 R

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
Tue May 6 08:39:04 MEST 2003

Whether these need to be linked as bundles or dylibs depends on what
they are used
for subsequently. Dylibs are for linking against, and if all else fails
you can hack the
make to use static archives -- bundles are for loading at run time into
a running
application (elsewhere know as plugins or modules), in R we use foo.so
for
bundles.

I will take a look at Rmap asap to see what is needed.

--- Jan

On Tuesday, May 6, 2003, at 04:07 US/Pacific, David Firth wrote:

> Has anyone got Barry Rowlingson's "Rmap" package (see
>    http://www.maths.lancs.ac.uk/Software/Rmap/
> ) working on OS X?
>
> I have tried and failed.  I reckon I didn't do the right things with
> the proj4 and shapelib libraries, to build them as shared libraries
> ("dylibs"??).  Can someone give me hints on how to do that, and
> whether I need to do anything OSX-specific to the Makevars in file in
> Rmap/Src (eg to tell it to look for blah.dylib rather than blah.so?
> is that necessary?)
>
> All the best,
> David

===
Jan de Leeuw; Professor and Chair, UCLA Department of Statistics;
Editor: Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Journal of Statistical
Software
US mail: 9432 Boelter Hall, Box 951554, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1554
phone (310)-825-9550;  fax (310)-206-5658;  email: deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
homepage: http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu