[R-SIG-Mac]ggobi and Mac OS X

Dennis A. Wolf wolfda at ornl.gov
Tue Mar 18 11:35:35 MET 2003

Greetings:

I have been trying to install ggobi with the ultimate goal of using it
within R. I am having difficulty which appears to be related to gcc not
allowing -shared as an option with Mac OS X. Can anyone suggest how I
can overcome this problem?

I am using a 15" flat-panel iMac, Mac OSX 10.2.4, Apple's X11 beta 3.

The gory details of the attempted installation follow:

I downloaded ggobi, ggobi_0.99-10.tar.gz and gunzipped and tarred it as
su to get the directory /usr/local/lib/ggobi and within that directory
I did

sudo ./configure --with-xml --enable-embed

and got:

checking for gtk-config... (cached) /sw/bin/gtk-config
Setting gtk flags
checking for uname... (cached) /usr/bin/uname
checking for install... (cached) /usr/bin/install
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) yes
Checking flag for linking shared libraries
SHLIB linker flags: -shared
with_xml: yes
checking for xml2-config... (cached) /sw/bin/xml2-config
Have xml-config: /sw/bin/xml2-config
USE_XML := USE_XML=2
XML Version := 2
checking for uname... (cached) /usr/bin/uname
creating ./config.status
creating Makeconf
creating GNUmakefile
creating src/GNUmakefile
creating gtkext/src/GNUmakefile
creating bin/setLD.csh
creating bin/setLD.bsh
creating bin/ggobi
creating bin/ggobi-config
creating bugTemplate
creating share/ggobirc
creating local.config
creating share/tools/plugin
creating src/config.h
src/config.h is unchanged
Installation directory: /usr/local

Now when I

sudo make

I got

make -C gtkext/src install
gcc -shared -o libgtkext.so cokus.lo mt19937ar.lo gtkextruler.lo
gtkexthruler.lo gtkextvruler.lo
gcc: unrecognized option `-shared'
ld: Undefined symbols:
_main
_g_log
_gdk_draw_pixmap
_gdk_gc_destroy
_gdk_gc_new
_gdk_gc_set_exposures
_gdk_pixmap_new
_gdk_pixmap_unref
_gdk_window_get_size
_gdk_window_move_resize
_gdk_window_new
_gdk_window_set_user_data
_gtk_marshal_NONE__NONE
_gtk_object_class_add_signals
_gtk_signal_new
_gtk_style_attach
_gtk_style_set_background
_gtk_type_check_class_cast
_gtk_type_check_object_cast
_gtk_type_class
_gtk_type_is_a
_gtk_type_unique
_gtk_widget_get_colormap
_gtk_widget_get_events
_gtk_widget_get_parent_window
_gtk_widget_get_type
_gtk_widget_get_visual
_gtk_widget_queue_draw
_gtk_widget_set_state
_myrint
_gdk_draw_line
_gdk_draw_string
_gdk_pointer_grab
_gdk_pointer_ungrab
_gdk_window_get_pointer
_gtk_paint_box
_gtk_signal_emit_by_name
_gtk_type_new
make[1]: *** [libgtkext.so] Error 1
make: *** [lib/libgtkext.so] Error 2

It appears that gcc does not like the -shared option. And indeed in the
help file for gcc it says that this option is not allowed for Mac OS X.