[Rd] Re: [R-SIG-Mac] R version on gifi

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Tue Jun 17 07:27:00 MEST 2003

Simon Urbanek <Simon.Urbanek at math.uni-augsburg.de> writes:

> On Monday, June 16, 2003, at 08:45  PM, Don MacQueen wrote:

>> Can you give specific and substantive reasons why fink should be
>> avoided?
>
> Jan already listed the main technical reasons why it is indeed a very
> good idea. Apart from that, fink is not an official package and was
> only meant as a temporary solution for people who need a (no matter
> how ugly) way to run existing unix programs on OS X. Hardly any real
> OS X user has installed fink (especially since Jaguar is out). Fink
> was great during the first couple of months when native OS X ports
> were hardly existent, but is now obsolete for mainstream OS X use.

I think completely agree with Simon here.  MacOSX is great for folks
that like the good things in life, but for chumps who just want a Unix
variant, run a PPC Unix (linux or *bsd or the like).  There are just
enough differences to create user-interface stress, depending on the
particular system configuration...

(of course, I'm one of those who has been using a unix variant for
almost 20 years now, and with the onset of senility, that isn't going
to change).

best,
-tony

A.J. Rossini  /  rossini at u.washington.edu  /  rossini at scharp.org
http://software.biostat.washington.edu/ UNTIL IT MOVES IN JULY.
Biomedical and Health Informatics, University of Washington
Biostatistics, HVTN/SCHARP, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
FHCRC: 206-667-7025 (fax=4812)|Voicemail is pretty sketchy/use Email

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachments ... {{dropped}}