[R-SIG-Mac] Re: Double-clicking Darwin-Aqua R-devel

Stefano Iacus jago at mclink.it
Fri Jun 13 15:38:16 MEST 2003

On Venerdì, giu 13, 2003, at 12:55 Europe/Rome, G. Sawitzki wrote:

> Stefano, thank you for the Darwin-Aqua R-devel.
>
> here are first observations:
>
> 1) the application must be named exactly as distributed. Usually I
> would ad a version number, but this leads to
>
> /Applications/RAqua.app/R.bin.app/Contents/MacOS/R:
> /Applications/RAqua.app/R.bin.app/Contents/MacOS/R: No such file or
> directory

this is not as simple as you might think. I got mad with Apple's
descriptions of bundles with is not correct or explicit sometimes.
The "executable" must have the same name of the bundle.

For who is interested, I have adopted this strategy that can be changed
later
I have a bundle app that is RAqua.app which has in its interior the
R.bin.app bundle (note the name, R binary is R.bin and not R which is a
shell script). The RAqua.app launches another bundle which is R.bin.app.
This is why you see R.bin as application name when R is launched.

I can be more precise if you need more details

> 2) libdl.0.dylib must be installed, eg. from fink. Else you get
> dyld: /Applications/RAqua.app/R.bin.app/Contents/MacOS/R.bin can't
> open library: /usr/lib/libdl.0.dylib  (No such file or directory,
> errno = 2)

umh, it can probably the dlcompat stuff. Thanks for spotting this.

> 3) it seems two processes are lauched, and both show up in the dock:
> 17562  ??  S      0:00.01 /Applications/RAqua.app/Contents/MacOS/RAqua
> -psn_0_6291457 HOME=/Users/gs SHELL=/bin/tcsh ....
> 17563  ??  S      0:09.72
> /Applications/RAqua.app/R.bin.app/Contents/MacOS/R.bin --gui-aqua
> PWD=/ R_HOME=/Applications/RAqua.app/R.bin.app/Contents
> R_SESSION_TMPDIR=/tmp/Rtmp17563 ....

yes, this is due to the two bundles. But I can fix this

> 4) The menus seem not to work any more.

this is not yet implemented.
As stated elsewhere, I just wanted to provide some scheleton working
code in the hope that many of you can contribute in the future.

> I hope to try more over the weekend.

yes, but don't expect too much I'll take next dayes to finish most of
the GUI.
The real problems will come later with things like packages
installation etc.

stefano