[R-SIG-Mac]Newbie Question

Rick Osborne rick@cs.colorado.edu
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 21:29:00 -0700 (MST)

Hello,

I recently installed R on my new PowerBook G4 moving from the Windows
world. In that world, I was a fairly competent user. However there are two
things about the Mac implementation that I can not figure out. Stefano has
already tried to answer one of my questions. However, it did not work or I
did not understand. Here are the questions:

1) When I try to change the directory and read in data using the
load("filename.Rda") command, I keep getting the following error message:

>load("filename.Rda")

Error: bad restore file magic number (file may be corrupted)-- no data
loaded.

All this is is a simple text file. I have tried changing the directory
every which way, changing the extension etc but I can not read data in and
I keep getting that error message.

What do I need to do? This is very frustrating for such a simple
operation.

2) The next question is how does one install a package that is not on the
CRAN website? I downloaded the Simple package but do not know how to get
it working. Dragging it in to the R folder does not seem to do it.

Thanks very much and thanks for the port to Mac OS X.

Rick Osborne