[R-SIG-Mac]Re: Apple's X11

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw@stat.ucla.edu
Sat, 15 Feb 2003 18:02:02 -0800

On Saturday, Feb 15, 2003, at 17:00 US/Pacific, John Maindonald wrote:

> (1) Fink users may find that, before installing Apple's X11, it may pay
> to read an up-to-date version of Section 3.2 of the document at
>   http://fink.sourceforge.net/doc/x11/inst-xfree86.php
> Currently, this advises users to delete existing xfree86 packages
> before proceeding.  I am not sure how necessary this is;  Apple's
> X11 will work even if this is not done, but some fink-based
> software may not?

If you use fink and Apple's X11 together, then fink will get confused,
because you
may have installed something using Apple's version and fink has no way
of knowing
it's library etc has been replaced. So you install fink's
system-xfree86 and remove
fink's xfree86.

> (2) There are useful hints in
>
>   http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1232.html
>
> Anyone who uses a beta version is a developer, right?
> Well, this was a point that dawned on me only after a fair
> amount of searching in less appropriate places for help.

Anyone who compiles anything is a developer, because
you need the developer tools, and you can only get these
by becoming a (free) member of the ADC.

> (3) Apple's X11 ignores /etc/csh.login
> Source /sw/bin/init.sh (not /sw/bin/init.csh, even though you get,
> finally, a tcsh shell).  I used my .tcshrc for this purpose.
> (probably .cshrc is also ok)

On OS X csh is just tcsh (same as sh is just bash)

> [Under the fink XFree86 implementation of X11, /etc/csh.login
> was a good place to source /sw/bin/init.sh, and a good place
> (on a single user machine) in which to set paths.  Setting them
> in a .cshrc or .tcshrc under  had the slightly disastrous effect of
> duplicating relevant bits of the path every time that a new xterm
> window was opened!]

I don't see that happening. And I do source /sw/bin/init.sh in
.tchsrc.

> (4) [Actually, when I sourced /sw/bin/init.sh, I had an error:
> Bad : modifier in $ (/).
> I backed up /sw/bin/init.sh and copied /sw/bin/init.csh to
> /sw/bin/init.csh, and all was well.  It may just have been that my
> /sw/bin/init.sh was corrupt.]

Did you source init.sh (a bash shell script) from tcshrc ?

> (5) For setting up a .xinitrc file, copy the version that it at
> /etc/X11R6/xinit/xinitrc to .xinitrc into the home directory and
> modify that.  At all events, I found that, on my system, this is
> what I had to do.  Such an .xinitrc can be used to start additional
> xterms, or to invoke a different window manager.
> [Document qa1232.html noted above says /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc,
> but that is surely a mistake.]

No, that is a link added in 0.2.

> (6) qa1232.html describes how to activate the selection
> proxying features (copy & paste) of quartz-wm, while using another
> window manager.  I have yet to experiment with this.  [I rather
> like icewm, because it is simple, and gives up to 4 desktops.]
>
> (7) After attending to these other matters, getting emacs, ess and
> R set up is a breeze!

Indeed.

> John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald@anu.edu.au
> phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
> Centre for Bioinformation Science, Room 1194,
> John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
> Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.

===
Jan de Leeuw; Professor and Chair, UCLA Department of Statistics;
Editor: Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Journal of Statistical
Software
US mail: 9432 Boelter Hall, Box 951554, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1554
phone (310)-825-9550;  fax (310)-206-5658;  email: deleeuw@stat.ucla.edu
homepage: http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu

           No matter where you go, there you are. --- Buckaroo Banzai
                    http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu/sounds/nomatter.au