[R-SIG-Mac]Re: R on X

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw@stat.ucla.edu
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 09:26:19 -0800

Martin

gifi does not have anonymous ftp any more, so yes, the CRAN link should
be changed to
http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu/pub

the binaries you have must be decompressed in /usr/local/lib, so

sudo mv R-1.6.1.tar.gz /usr/local/lib
sudo tar zxvf R-1.6.1.tar,gz

then make a symbolic link

sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/R/bin/R /usr/local/bin/R

i'll upload an updated set today which must be unpacked in the root
directory, i.e. in /

--- Jan

On Friday, November 15, 2002, at 12:14 AM, Martin Renner wrote:

> Hi Jan,
>
> I just found your compiled version of R-1.6.1 on your website. All I
> could find on CRAN is a link to ftp://gifi.stat.ucla.edu/pub/  - I
> tried several times but coudln't access this site (could not set
> public privileges). Maybe you could update the link on CRAN or get the
> ftp server fixed? It would help people after me - thank you. (first I
> tried to build R from source with g77 but got an error 'no-segfault.R'
> ...kCGErrorIllegalArgument : initCGDisplayState: cannot map display
> interlocks.)
>
> I'm not very familiar with Unix (yet?) - how do I install the binaries
> once they are downloaded and decompressed? The R manual states that
> there are platform-specific methods.
>
> Thank you for all your work for the Mac community,
>
> 	Martin

===
Jan de Leeuw; Professor and Chair, UCLA Department of Statistics;
Editor: Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Journal of Statistical
Software
US mail: 9432 Boelter Hall, Box 951554, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1554
phone (310)-825-9550;  fax (310)-206-5658;  email: deleeuw@stat.ucla.edu
homepage: http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu

           No matter where you go, there you are. --- Buckaroo Banzai
                    http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu/sounds/nomatter.au