[R-SIG-Mac]Starting afresh w/ install; advice, plz

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw@stat.ucla.edu
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 19:54:10 -0800

On Friday, November 1, 2002, at 03:40 PM, David J. Braden wrote:

> For some reason I don't understand, my last fink update removed a lot
> of my gnome stuff, including r, gnumeric, gimp, and indeed perhaps the
> whole core.  Sheesh.
>
> But I look at this as an opportunity to help out with some
> documentation on setting things up. My current Mac is a G3 with 320MB
> RAM. So:
>
> (1) I would like to *really* start afresh with the fink download and
> setup, so I can time the process for others' use.  Anyone know how I
> can uninstall it?

Just remove /sw

> (2) Is there *any* advantage in downloading the source and compiling
> on my machine over downloading the binary?  I don't want to be a fink
> developer, just a regular user who values stability over the "latest,
> greatest", at least for this.

Some packages are not in the binary set: possibly R-1.6.0 is not, for
instance.

> (3) When getting the gnome stuff in, some packages have "nox"
> versions.  What are they? When should I, if ever, get them?

Since you have X11, no need to install nox versions

> (4) Often when using fink update I am prompted with a choice of an
> "-ssl" version or not.  For me as a regular user, which should I go
> with?  I can't do both, since there are conflicts at times.

If you use ssl, use the ssl version

> (5) The gnumeric guys are suggesting I steer clear of their cvs
> versions. Is that the case for R?

The cvs version is either R-patched or R-develop -- you probably just
want
the latest released version, i.e R-1.6.1 (which is not in fink, of
course)