[R-SIG-Mac]Writing R doc on Mac

Thomas Lumley tlumley@u.washington.edu
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 08:50:17 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Jean Thioulouse wrote:

> Hello,
>
> What is the best way to write R documentation on Mac ? Is it better
> to write it under Windows/Unix/MacOS X ? Which are the best tools ?
> I already have some documentation in MS Word files (in R doc style),
> which I'd like to use. I suppose that there is no automatic Word
> (rtf or txt) to .Rd translation program ?

There isn't any automatic translation, but Rd files are plain text, like
.txt, so this shouldn't be a problem.

The prompt() command will produce a nice skeleton for a .Rd file and then
any text editor should be fine.  I use Emacs on Linux and Windows and
TextEdit on OS X. The logical choice for OS 8/9 is probably Alpha,
although Word should be fine as long as you save the file in text format.

Unix is probably the best platform for *processing* .Rd files, as Unix
systems tend to have all the necessary tools built in.

	-thomas

Thomas Lumley			Asst. Professor, Biostatistics
tlumley@u.washington.edu	University of Washington, Seattle