[R-SIG-Mac]more for ftp

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw@stat.ucla.edu
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 10:57:24 -0800

ftp://gifi.stat.ucla.edu/pub/R

now has two additional directories.

In "dylibs" you will find dynamic libraries used by R.bin and some of the
modules and packages. Not all fo them, especially gnome uses many
more. If you need others, as always, drop me a line and I will add it.
You put these dylibs in /sw/lib, and you put /sw/lib first in the
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH environmental variable. If R asks for a
version of any of these dylibs which is named slightly differently
(for instance libz.1.dylib), then just put in a symbolic link in /sw/lib,
i.e. "ln -s libz.1.1.3.dylib libz.1.dylib". You can always check which
dylibs you need by using "otool -L /usr/local/lib/R/bin/R.bin". This
requires you have the Development Tools installed.

I have not included the X11 dylibs (you need to install X11 anyway)
and not the gnome dylibs either (I don't know how many people use this,
and it's a lot of libraries). I will probably add them later.

In "packages" you will find packages not yet integrated into the full
(atlas-based) distribution. Currently it has the hdf5 package (which
requires libhdf5.0.dylib).

Finally, one of the few remaining problems with the X11/Darwin
version (besides the fact that both X11 and gnome are ugly as sin)
was that there was no decent browser available for the html help.
This is fixed, because fink now has mozilla.
===
Jan de Leeuw; Professor and Chair, UCLA Department of Statistics;
US mail: 9432 Boelter Hall, Box 951554, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1554
phone (310)-825-9550;  fax (310)-206-5658;  email: deleeuw@stat.ucla.edu
homepage: http://www.stat.ucla.edu/~deleeuw
           No matter where you go, there you are. --- Buckaroo Banzai
                    http://www.stat.ucla.edu/~deleeuw/sounds/nomatter.au