[R-SIG-Mac]making maps a la usa()

Phil Price pnprice@lbl.gov
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 17:05:54 -0800

I need to make some maps, showing states in the U.S. with highlighting,
superimposed bars of adjustable length and width, etc...the sort of
thing one would use usa() for in S.  An archive search finds that there
are some platform-specific ports, but not for OS X.

I'm not sure why this is a platform-specific issue, really: it seems
like usa() (and related map functions) could be written using R's
graphics functions, and I'm kinda surprised if that's not the way it was
originally done.

Is there an R solution for this?

Thanks.

--Phil Price