[R-SIG-Mac]compiling with atlas

Wiener, Matthew matthew_wiener@merck.com
Fri, 01 Feb 2002 09:46:27 -0500

Hi, all.

I'm trying to compile R-1.4.1 on my Pismo (G3 processor).  I've got fink
installed, with g77 and atlas and dlcompat and everything else I could think
of.  I compiled atlas last night (it took a LONG time!) and R can find it
when I give it the right library arguments.

However, in my config.log, I get messages like:

	/usr/bin/ld:   warning table of contents of library:
/sw/lib/libatlas.a not sorted
	slower link editing will result (use the ranlib(1) -s option)

If I read this correctly, it means that it will take me a little longer to
compile, but won't cause any problems at runtime.  Is that correct?

One additional question on atlas:  for R, is it generally worth it to
optimize BLAS level 1?  I chose yes because I didn't know.  But if it's not
that important, I'd be happy to save the time someday when I need to update.

Matthew Wiener
Applied Computer Science and Mathematics Department
Merck Research Labs
Rahway, NJ  07065-0900
732-594-5303