[R-SIG-Mac]timing R and R and R and R

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw@stat.ucla.edu
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 10:10:15 -0800

ATLAS is a portable fast BLAS (basic linear algebra subroutines),
which itself is a library of elementary linear algebra routines.
LAPACK consists of more elaborate linear algebra routines
build on top of the BLAS. It is possible to optimize the BLAS
for the system that it will be running on at compile time. I dont
know the details, but ATLAS does an enormous number of compile
time checks and optimizations, which can result in a major
speed increase in linear algebra computations.

The answer to the second question is probably "no".