[R-SIG-Mac].Rprofile in 1.3.1 (os 10.1)

MacStats@mac.com MacStats@mac.com
Sun, 11 Nov 2001 14:06:12 -0800

On 10 Nov 2001 20:12:18 -0500, David A Richmond wrote:

>1) OS 10.1 doesn't let you name files that begin with a period '.' in the
>Finder, or save them in programs such as BBedit. The only way to create a
>file that begins with a period is to use the command line. (i.e. use
>Terminal, and use the mv command: "mv filename .filename")

Under Mac OS 1/4/6/7/9, the ".file" form has a special meaning -- it means a device driver.  So a Carbonized program like BBEdit would assume this is a driver.

You should report this to BareBones, it's easy enough to fix if they know where to look.

>2) R 1.3.1 carbon for mac OS 10/9 requires that the line breaks be
>Macintosh line breaks and not Unix line breaks. Thus, a file such as
>.Rprofile created and saved using pico will not work, as the line breaks
>are unix and not mac.

This will probably be an issue for both versions of R for Mac OS X. Not that I can volunteer Jan or Stefano's time, but it would be nice if ordinary line input could auto-detect which format the file is in and treat it accordingly
--
Joel West