[R-SIG-Mac]Fwd: Mac OS X (and R)

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw@stat.ucla.edu
Sun, 10 Jun 2001 12:37:13 -0700

--Apple-Mail-1001559933-4

This may be of some interest to this list.

Begin forwarded message:

> [...]
> device, which is by default another Mac window. This is the year 2000
> version of R. For Mac persons.
>
> 2. There is also a 1970 version. You open a terminal window, type R,
> the terminal window becomes the command window. You set the device
> to postscript or pdf or none, and you do not have to deal with graphical
> interfaces at all. There is no good reason to do this, except perhaps
> nostalgia.
>
> 3. The 1990 version presupposes that you have installed an X server.
> Our Macs will have XDarwin installed (at least as an option). Start R in
> the terminal window and open the x11 device for all your graphics.
> This works basically in the same way as the Carbon version, but
> it uses executables in Mach-O format, and can be expected to be
> more efficient. Because you are in the BSD Unix + X11R6 environment,
> it is easier to port R packages. Also, remember that installing XDarwin
> gives you access to all X applications (xpdf, xdvi, xemacs, xv, xfig,
> and so on). You can download this version  of R from my homepage.
> For Mac/Unix persons.
>
> 4. There is a 2000 variation on the 1990 version. R comes with a
> gtk device, which you can use if you start R with "R --gui=gnome"
> in a terminal window. You need a specially compiled R, which again
> sits on my homepage, but you also need many parts of the gnome
> desktop environment installed. This gives an R for Linux persons.
> The command window is a gnome window, and the graphics window
> is yet another gnome window. The gnome environment allows you
> access to yet another slew of applications (guppi, gimp, ggobi, and so
> on)
> on top of all of X11. For Mac/Linux persons.
>
> 5. The 2010 version of R uses Cocoa and Quartz. These are the natural
> and best tools for application development on OS X, programs compiled
> in this way are better at multiprocessing and use the native pdf format
> for OS X graphics more efficiently. There is no Cocoa version of R
> yet (although people are working on a cocoa device for R).
>
> Of course what we have said here for R in principle also applies to
> XLISP-STAT,
> but because the developer community is much smaller, there are fewer
> alternatives (only Classic in emulation mode and X11). Carbon and Cocoa
> versions will probably never happen. It also applies to commercial
> programs, which are in the process of being carbonized. There are
> carbon versions of Eudora, Acroread, Stata, Interarchy, Graphic
> Converter,
> CMacTeX, Python, gnuplot, BBEdit, AppleWorks, Explorer, Mozilla
> to mention a few popular programs. The Cocoa program TeXShop
> provides a very nice interface to the command-line teTeX programs
> running in the background, and uses the native pdf previewer. In
> short, there is very little reason to use the Classic mode, and there
> will even be less reason by the end of the year.
===
Jan de Leeuw; Professor and Chair, UCLA Department of Statistics;
US mail: 9432 Boulter Hall, Box 951554, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1554
phone (310)-825-9550;  fax (310)-206-5658;  email: deleeuw@stat.ucla.edu
homepage: http://www.stat.ucla.edu/~deleeuw
           No matter where you go, there you are. --- Buckaroo Banzai
                    http://www.stat.ucla.edu/sounds/nomatter.au
>  --Apple-Mail-710027732-3--

--Apple-Mail-1001559933-4

This may be of some interest to this list.

Begin forwarded message:

<excerpt>

Over the summer all faculty and student Macintoshes will be upgraded

to MacOS X. To indicate which choices this gives you, let me outline

the possibilities for running R (which will be our official supported
graduate

and faculty computing environment starting next year). Of course most

people do not need all these alternatives, but the nice thing is that
you

have many choices before you settle down in your preferred environment.

It will also please you to hear that I have been running MacOS X in

various versions for over a year now, Jose has been running it for

months, Dick has been running it for a month. It does not crash.
Sometimes

applications crash, but that's a minor event for OS X, they dont take
the=20

[...]

gtk device, which you can use if you start R with "R --gui=3Dgnome"

[...]

to mention a few popular programs. The Cocoa program TeXShop=20

provides a very nice interface to the command-line teTeX programs

running in the background, and uses the native pdf previewer. In

short, there is very little reason to use the Classic mode, and there

will even be less reason by the end of the year.

Jan de Leeuw; Professor and Chair, UCLA Department of Statistics;

US mail: 9432 Boulter Hall, Box 951554, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1554

phone (310)-825-9550;  fax (310)-206-5658;  email:
deleeuw@stat.ucla.edu

homepage:
=

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

          No matter where you go, there you are. --- Buckaroo Banzai

                 =20
=
param>

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

</color><excerpt> --Apple-Mail-710027732-3--

</excerpt>=

--Apple-Mail-1001559933-4--