[R-sig-ins] General Insurance Data

Edward Roche ed.roche at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Sep 27 01:16:41 CEST 2014

Hi all,
I am interested in a package for working with General Insurance data,
i.e. something that deals with the initial stage of getting GI data into
R, reshaping it and subsetting it before performing projections using
packages such as ChainLadder or claim development visualisations using
googlevis.

When working with GI data before you can do any meaningful analysis or
projections you need to get your data in the right format. Typically you
might start with incremental long format data showing claim transactions
and this needs to be reshaped and summarised into triangle matrices
(e.g.  paid and incurreds). You can then perform projections with
packages such as ChainLadder or other simple development methods. This
initial manipulation stage is not always easy to do especially for
novice users of R. There are helper functions in the ChainLadder package
such as incr2cum, as.triangle etc that let you perform conversions on
the fly but I cant find anything for the wholesale restructuring or
manipulation of GI data such as converting it from Annual Quarterly to
Annual Annual etc. This type of manipulation is very easy to do in some
proprietary software (not R based) that I use on a daily basis.
I am considering working on a package that would generally provide
helper functions to load untidy GI data into R and let a novice R user
perform restructuring and manipulation on the fly.  I envisage a GUI
such as is available in Rattle to load the data and specify the key
variables and formats. Once the data is loaded intuitive helper
functions would let you manipulate it on the fly. For example you might
wish to pick out paid and incurred triangles, subset the data in some
way or convert it to Annual Annual or from cumulative to incremental.

My question for this mailing list is are there any such packages out
there? or is anyone working on something like this? I would love to get
involved if so. Any other thoughts?

Thanks
Ed