[R-sig-ins] General Insurance Data

Dan Murphy chiefmurphy at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 00:52:47 CEST 2014

Caveat repeated -- I'm not an attorney -- but the most promising
explanation I have heard is that if the way your GUI uses R as its
computational engine is so arms-length that R could be replaced by another
computational engine, then they are separate products. E.g., I have seen
programs write an entire R script to disk based on chosen data sources and
selected compuations ... but it could have been a SAS script.

Consult your attorney. :)

On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 12:32 PM, David Winsemius <dwinsemius at comcast.net>
wrote:

> I was puzzled when I read that this program was "private". It seems to be
> a violation of the licensing terms of R.  It appears to depend entirely on
> the functionality of R which would make it a derivative work.
>
> --
> David Winsemius
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Oct 1, 2014, at 1:22 PM, Dan Murphy <chiefmurphy at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thank you for that reference. Looks nice. More than the original poster
> was
> > looking for?
> >
> > IMO, open-source is a great vehicle for distributing the guts engineering
> > that accommodates data exchange and munging. OTOH, I'm not convinced that
> > open-source is the right vehicle for distributing the "look and feel" of
> > GUI. But I'm "open" for persuasion. :)
> >
> > Dan
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 10:37 AM, Brian Fannin <
> BFannin at redwoodsgroup.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Can’t believe I forgot to mention that! I remember the presentation and
> >> it looks to be a very powerful tool. The integration with LaTeX is
> >> particularly nice.

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]